Halloween Thai Pumpkin soup (posted by Joan)
I improvised a wonderful pumpkin soup using Thai flavors and parts from our Halloween Jack-o-lantern:
I started with about 2 cups of fresh pumpkin flesh, the bottom and eyes, nose and mouth from my jack-o-lantern after I carved it.
1. Roast the pumpkin at 350 degrees F until almost tender, then remove the skin.
2. Sauté 1-2 large leeks, sliced, in some ghee.
3. Add about 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced.
4. Add 1 stalk celery, diced,1 carrot diced, and one small fingerling sweet potato or 1/2 of a yam, diced.
5. Let them sauté about 10-15 minutes, then add the pumpkin.
6. Stir, and add about 2 cups beef broth.
7. Cover and simmer until tender.
8. Turn off heat, stir in 1/2 can coconut milk and 1 tsp red Thai curry paste.
9. Add 1 Tbsp tamari.
10. Put in vitamix and blend on high speed until pureed and velvety.